16 September 2010

Religious Trek today

Our religious trek today did include shopping, for some of us shopping is religious :0).  We visited Coptic (Christian) and Islamic Cairo.  I became a little emotional when we visited the crypt where it is believed Joseph and Mary hid when they fled Jerusalem so that their son, Jesus, would not be murder by order of Herod.  Interestingly there is also a Jewish Synagogue in the Coptic area of Cairo that dates back thousands of years ago with a lot of historical facts about it once being a Christian place of worship that later became a Synagogue, if you're interested in more facts I'm sure there is a lot to learn.  We also visited the Mosque of Mohamed Ali and I am not referring to the boxer although I bet that is how he came by his name when he converted to Islam.  This city has so much history it makes your head swarm.  One of the things I found interesting is the young religious girls even though they are covered they are still very fashionable; colored coordinated and adding color to their black garb.






I wish I could show you the expansion of this market place, it is blocks and alleys long; one could actually get lost its like a maze. 
Look at these Egyptian Beauties; the one in Red was reluctant to take advantage of the photo opportunity, but the one in green is a photo star!


More shopping
At first they told me No I could not take their picture, the one on the right said no but the others convinced her.
Mustafa, our Cairo guide.  We are outside the Egyptian Museum.
Beautiful Mosque
Ceiling inside the Mosque




Egypt in all it's glory; the smog, traffic congestion, hot hot weather, and crowded cities.







 Tomorrow we are off to Hurghada where we will spend 3 relaxing nights on the Red Sea.  I can't believe I will be snorkeling in the Red Sea!  We're taking the bus; pretty much the only way to get there.  The ride will be 6-7 hours, air conditioned they say.  Wish us luck and continue to pray for our safe journey.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. You were in the location of the original Jews. Boy things have really gotten distorted from the original meaning and beliefs. I love the photo with the young ladies; very fashionable. You fit right in. The buildings are beautiful. I want to shop in the markets.

    ReplyDelete